Being injured in a car accident is every driver’s nightmare, but it’s a reality that many people will eventually have to face. What makes matters worse is if the driver who caused the accident flees the scene before you have time to exchange information or contact the authorities. Leaving the scene of a car accident is a criminal offense known as a hit and run. If you are ever injured by a driver who decides to commit this crime instead of taking responsibility for his negligence, make sure you follow these tips:

Do not chase after him.

When you see the at fault driver begin to drive away from the scene of the accident, it can be tempting to put the pedal to the metal and chase him down. But getting into a high speed car chase with someone who is willing to commit a crime is better left to law enforcement officers. Whatever you do, do not chase after the car. Remain in your vehicle and contact the authorities to report the crime and the accident.

File a police report.

It can be difficult to jot down the driver’s license plate information if you are still reeling from being involved in a car accident. Some drivers assume they shouldn’t file a police report if they don’t have any information on who the driver was or what his car looked like. Don’t make this mistake. You will always need to file a police report so you have official documentation that the accident did happen.

Contact an attorney.

It’s entirely possible the police will never track down the person who hit your vehicle and caused your injuries. How will you pay for your medical expenses and property damages if you can’t file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company? In Georgia, drivers who have uninsured motorist coverage are protected in hit and run accidents. If you have this coverage, you will need to file a claim with your insurance company immediately following the accident.

But you should never deal with an insurance company—even your own—without first contacting an attorney. Before you talk to your insurance company about the accident, get in touch with a personal injury attorney who can provide you with legal advice and representation every step of the way.

Regardless of what type of traffic accident you were in, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries if a negligent driver was to blame. You will need the help of a skilled attorney if you want to ensure you receive a fair settlement from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Don’t wait another minute to contact the best attorney for the job—Frank Harris. Get in touch with Frank Harris today by sending an email to or visiting his law firm’s website at You can also call our offices at 678-483-8655.